On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 2:20 AM Ned Deily <n...@python.org> wrote:

> For 3.9.0, I recommend we reconsider this change (temporarily reverting
> it) and consider whether an API change to accommodate the various use cases
> would be better

For 3.9. - I am ready to defend the patch even at the cost of the breaking
of the parsing of undefined behavior.  We should keep it. The patch
simplifies a lot of corner cases and fixes the reported bugs. We don't
guarantee backward compatibility between major versions, so I assume users
will be careful when relying upon this undefined behavior and will take
corrective action on their side before upgrading to 3.9.

We want patch releases to be backward compatible. That was the
user-complaint.

Thanks,
Senthil