Entering the release candidate phase is an exciting and necessary step towards
releasing a production-grade 3.9.0.

At this stage stability is of utmost importance. That's why the development
process described in our Dev Guide specifies that "a branch preparing for an RC
release can only have bugfixes applied that have been reviewed by other core
developers". See more at
https://devguide.python.org/devcycle/#release-candidate-rc

Note that due to the new PEP 602-compliant release calendar we are planning to
have two release candidates: the first this coming Monday, August 10th, and the
second on September 14th. As a reminder: expanding the RC phase was done to
help operating system distributors include the latest release of Python in
their own Autumn releases. To make it work, we need approach the release
candidates with as much care as we will put into 3.9.0 itself.

Lastly, and this is a little embarrassing to admit, my laptop is being serviced
by Apple at the moment due to a swollen battery. I'm ready to make the release
without it should it not return by Monday. However, in case it turns out to be
impossible, I'll let you know in a separate e-mail.

--
Best regards,
Łukasz Langa