FWIW: PEP 594 doesn't seem to have been updated with all the
discussions we had around it, e.g. the nntplib is still marked
for removal, even though the only reason is related to servers
used in the test suite sometimes causing delays, which I will
be fixing with Ee by setting up our own test server.

Since it's rather likely that we'll always find someone who still
uses a module, I think we should find a better strategy on how to
deal with such removals, e.g. create a separate attic repo where
participation is easier than for CPython, publish the modules
in this repo under a python-attic package, and move all deprecated
code there.

On 23.06.2021 15:16, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>     Create a project on PyPI if you expect contributions.
>>
>>     Victor
>>
>>     On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 9:13 AM Andrew McNamara
>>     <andr...@object-craft.com.au <mailto:andr...@object-craft.com.au>>
>>     wrote:
>>      >
>>      > >I would hope we'd remove it. It's a toy implementation,
>>     unmaintained,
>>      > >probably doesn't support a lot of newer protocol features, and
>>     is probably
>>      > >full of bugs. Hopefully nobody uses it!
>>      >
>>      > I use it and it works well for my specific use case - a Postfix spam
>>      > filter. During incoming SMTP transactions, I have Postfix
>>     configured to
>>      > pass the received message to my daemon via SMTP
>>     (smtpd_proxy_filter). My
>>      > daemon pronounces judgement, allowing Postfix to potentially
>>     reject the
>>      > message while the sender is still connected (so no bounce
>>     backscatter). My
>>      > daemon only receives one connection at a time, and only well
>>     formed SMTP
>>      > from postfix, so the smtpd module works well - no need for a 3rd
>>     party
>>      > module or the hassle of async.
>>      >
>>      > --
>>      > Andrew McNamara, Senior Developer, Object Craft
>>      > http://www.object-craft.com.au/ <http://www.object-craft.com.au/>
>>      > _______________________________________________
>>     <mailto:python-committers@python.org>
>>      > To unsubscribe send an email to
>>     python-committers-le...@python.org
>>     <mailto:python-committers-le...@python.org>
>>      >
>>     https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-committers.python.org/
>>     <https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-committers.python.org/>
>>      > Message archived at
>>
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committers@python.org/message/QA2OVVFX564H5EBARUKODUPMYHTJAMCO/
>>

>> <https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committers@python.org/message/QA2OVVFX564H5EBARUKODUPMYHTJAMCO/>
>>
>>      > Code of Conduct: https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
>>     <https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/>
>>

>>     --     Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my
>> death.
>>     Message archived at
>>
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committers@python.org/message/N7FUYCFY3HJ4WV43WOUYJ2VDABZ2LBRU/
>>

>> <https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committers@python.org/message/N7FUYCFY3HJ4WV43WOUYJ2VDABZ2LBRU/>
>>
>>     Code of Conduct: https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
>>     <https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/>
>>

>> --
>> //Best,
>> Joannah Nanjekye
>> /"You think you know when you learn, are more sure when you can write, even
>> more when you can teach, but certain when you can program."

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Jun 23 2021)

               https://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                     https://www.malemburg.com/