Python 3.9.7

Get it here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-397/
<https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-397/>
Python 3.9.7 is the newest major stable release of the Python programming
language, and it contains many new features and optimizations. There’s been 187
commits since 3.9.6 which is a similar amount compared to 3.8 at the same stage
of the release cycle. See the change log
<https://docs.python.org/release/3.9.7/whatsnew/changelog.html> for details.

On macOS, we encourage you to use the universal2 binary installer variant
whenever possible. The legacy 10.9+ Intel-only variant will not be provided for
Python 3.10 and the universal2 variant will become the default download for
3.9.8. You may need to upgrade third-party components, like pip, to later
versions. You may experience differences in behavior in IDLE and other Tk-based
applications due to using the newer version of Tk. As always, if you encounter
problems when using this installer variant, please check
https://bugs.python.org <https://bugs.python.org/> for existing reports and for
opening new issues.

The next Python 3.9 maintenance release will be 3.9.8, currently scheduled for
2021-11-01.

<https://discuss.python.org/t/python-3-9-7-and-3-8-12-now-available/10401#the-second-security-only-release-of-python-38-2>The
 Second Security-Only Release of Python 3.8

Get it here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3812/
<https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3812/>
Security content in this release contains four fixes. There are also four
additional fixes for bugs that might have lead to denial-of-service attacks.
Finally, while we’re not providing binary installers anymore, for those users
who produce installers, we upgraded the OpenSSL version used to 1.1.1l. Take a
look at the change log
<https://docs.python.org/release/3.8.12/whatsnew/changelog.html> for details.

According to the release calendar specified in PEP 569
<https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0569/>, Python 3.8 is now in “security
fixes only” stage of its life cycle: 3.8 branch only accepts security fixes and
releases of those are made irregularly in source-only form until October 2024.
Python 3.8 isn’t receiving regular bug fixes anymore, and binary installers are
no longer provided for it. Python 3.8.10 was the last full bugfix release of
Python 3.8 with binary installers.

<https://discuss.python.org/t/python-3-9-7-and-3-8-12-now-available/10401#security-releases-of-3712-and-3615-3>Security
 releases of 3.7.12 and 3.6.15

Those aren’t ready just yet but are soon to follow.

Similarly to 3.8, Python 3.7 and 3.6 are now in “security fixes only” stage of
their life cycle. Python 3.7 will be providing source archives until June 2023
while Python 3.6 ends its life in December 2021.

<https://discuss.python.org/t/python-3-9-7-and-3-8-12-now-available/10401#we-hope-you-enjoy-the-new-releases-4>We
 hope you enjoy the new releases

Your friendly release team,
Ned Deily @nad <https://discuss.python.org/u/nad>