On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Nick wrote:

Here's another idea: Fail the flex test fairly silently (e.g. just "no"), but fall back to a script that generates a nice, verbose error message explaining the situation. That way, when the user tries to call "make" after modifying the .l file, the fake flex alternative script gets called, displays the message, and exits with status 1.

Yep, you probably don't need a separate script - it can all fit in the Makefile somewhere. That is how it worked originally, sort of, 'cept there was no message - it just failed if flex wasn't there ;-)

But I'm also perfectly fine with what Jim already has in configure.in, if we don't have time for these refinements, I'd leave it as it is, no biggie.

Grisha