Brett C. wrote:
I realize that much. But if you look in configure.in it seems to use the previous value of LDFLAGS every time it is redefined as a base and thus gets its initial value from the environment variable the first time it is tweaked.

Yes, it would be possible to do the same thing for CPPFLAGS. However, you really need to combine the values. If you assume you don't know anything about the current value of CPPFLAGS, this might get tricky - you might cause build failures if you honor CPPFLAGS too much.

Not a big deal, though. I will just use the environment variables in setup.py .

You shouldn't do this - you do need to consider the values in the Makefile as well. If you think you need both, you should modify configure.in appropriately.

Regards,
Martin