Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Michael> This must be one of those cases where I am mislead by my
>     Michael> background...  I thought of Liskov substitution principle
>     Michael> as a piece of basic CS background that everyone learned
>     Michael> in school (or from the net, or wherever they learned
>     Michael> programming). Clearly, that's not true.
>
> Note that some us were long out of school by the time Barbara Liskov
> first published the idea (in 1988 according to
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LiskovSubstitutionPrinciple).  Also, since it
> pertains to OO programming it was probably not taught widely until
> the mid-90s.  That means a fair number of people will have never
> heard about it.

...and then there are those Python users who have no formal CS
background at all. Python is used quite a bit by people who's main job
is not programming.

<sidebar>I'm one of those, and whatever I know about CS, I owe it mostly
to the Python community. I learned an awful lot just by hanging out on
various Python mailing lists.</sidebar>

>     Michael> Guido writes:
>     >> How about SubstitutabilityError?
>
> I don't think that's any better.  At the very least, people can
> Google for "Liskov violation" to educate themselves.  I'm not sure
> that the results of a Google search for "Subtitutability Error" will
> be any clearer.

Well, with a bit of luck Google will point to the Python documentation
then...

Just