While rummaging in the old patches, I found this:

"""
The result of the PyCore sprint of me and Brett: the CALL_ATTR opcode
(LOAD_ATTR and CALL_FUNCTION combined) that skips the PyMethod creation
and destruction for classic classes (but not newstyle classes, yet.)

The code is somewhat rough yet, it needs commenting, some renaming, and
most importantly testing. It seems to work, however, and provides
between a 35% and 5% speedup. (5% in 'average' code, up to 35% in
instance method calls and instance creation alone.) It also needs to be
updated to include newstyle classes. I will likely work on this on the
flight home.
"""

(patch #709744)

How is the status of this? Sounds promising, I'd say...

Reinhold

--
Mail address is perfectly valid!