Steven Bethard wrote:
(I'm also secretly hoping that map, filter,
reduce, etc. will be moved to the functional module in the future,
maybe in Python 3.0.  But that's probably just my love for list
comprehensions and generator expressions speaking.) ;-)

Given Guido's stated desire to get rid of those three, but also given the fact that sometimes they're just plain clearer than the equivalent list comp (e.g. performing a type conversion on an entire list), having the functional module as a place to eventually put them seemed like a fine idea to me.

I'm actually half-tempted to suggest that those three functions should be aliased in the functional module for 2.5 (in addition to being in builtins - ala the contents of the exceptions module).

I also agree with your other point - with a functional module in place, it becomes more feasible to give the functional programming folks a few extra tools without impacting too badly on those people that *aren't* interested in FP related stuff.

Cheers,
Nick.
Maybe we should open a book on the next method to make it into functional. Compose, perhaps?

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia