On Mar 14, 2005, at 10:57, Gareth McCaughan wrote:

    of way as it's distracting in C or C++ seeing

        Thing thing = new Thing();

with the type name appearing three times.

I think you can't possibly see this in C:-), you need a star there in C++, and you need to avoid the 'new' (just calling Thing() should do it -- maybe you're commixing with Java?), but still, I do agree it looks uncool... no doubt a subtle ploy by Java and C++ designers to have you use, instead, the preferable interface-and-factory idioms such as:

IThing thing* = thingFactory();

rather than declaring and instantiating concrete classes, which is just _so_ three years ago;-)

Back to the Python world, I don't particularly love [x for x in ...] by any means, but I surely hope we're not tweaking the syntax for such tiny gains in the 2.4 -> 2.5 transition. Wasn't 2.5 "supposed to be" mostly about standard library reorganizations, enhancements, etc? Were there some MAJOR gains to be had in syntax additions, guess that could be bent, but snipping the [<name> for ...] leading part seems just such a tiny issue. (If the discussion is about 3.0, and I missed the indication of that, I apologize).

Alex