Brian Sabbey wrote:
be guaranteed to run under all conditions, I think it would be
useful if it could be arranged so that

for x in somegenerator(): ... raise Blather ...

would caused any finallies that the generator was suspended inside
to be executed. Then the semantics would be the same as if the
for-loop-over-generator were implemented by passing a thunk to a
function that calls it repeatedly.

One difficulty is that one can never know if the user intends to
still use the generator, like so:

a = somegenerator() try: for x in a: raise Blather except: a.next()

I think they only way you can really be sure .next() will not be
called again is if the generator is no longer referenced.  Someone
submitted a patch once to execute "finallies" when the generator is
__del__eted, but it was rejected for various reasons.

In my original post in this thread I tried to provide a mechanism
such as you describe by providing __call__ as an alternative to
'next', but now I am convinced that it is better to introduce a new
syntax instead of re-using generators.

Incidentally, passing the thunk "behind the scenes" as the first argument (as mentioned previously) allows one to avoid using lambda
to do things such as sort (I hear lambdas are on the way out), while
remaining anonymous:

with x, y from a.sort(): value cmp(x.k1, y.k1) or (x.k2, y.k2)

(or whatever the preferred syntax is) instead of:

a.sort(lambda x,y : cmp(x.k1, y.k1) or (x.k2, y.k2))

Not that I find either form better than the other, but I do find both
 better than have to define a named function.

Notice that syntax is the key issue here, it is not like it is hard to
think a range of semantics for thunks/anonymous functions. In fact thunks can probably be just closures with some tweaks up to the yield issue.

In fact if some unnatural (for Python POV likely) parentheses would be
acceptable but they are very likely not, it is simple to devise
syntaxes that allows anonymous functions pretty much everywhere. This
would allow for some rather unwieldy code.

OTOH a suite-based syntax for thunks can likely not work as a substitute of lambda for cases like:

f(lambda: ..., ...)

where the function is the first argument, and then there are further arguments. (Of course not-so-natural helper functions can be written
to swap arguments around).

Apart this one very hard problem, it would be nice to be able to define
and pass more thunks simultaneously. In particular a more concise syntax for

  def setx(self, v): self._x = v
  def getx(self): return self._x
  x = property(getx,setx)

was considered in the past discussions about the topic a worthy goal.

regards