On Tuesday 22 March 2005 18:29, Jim Jewett wrote:
 > > This is distinct from the version of Python used to build a
 > > distribution.
 >
 > In theory, yes.
 >
 > My suspicion is that if people are using the defaults, then they are
 > probably also using a python version that they have tested with -- and
 > perhaps the only one that they have tested with.

I think this varies substantially.  I routinely test cross-version code with
several versions of Python.

 > How about changing it to tack on a "(guess)" instead of just deleting it?

But it's not a guess for non-source distributions.

 > Or does that change break too many other things/cause too much
 > ugliness for the timeframe it will be used in?

Too much ugliness.  Remember, this field is attached to the uploaded file, not
the release as a whole.  Many packages are going to see uploads for two or
more versions of Python (PyXML for example).  Getting the metadata wrong is
just too evil.  Now that more people have seen the code for PyPI (and
understand more of it), it'll be easier to implement new fields once they've
been carefully defined.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>