I guess I should begin by introducing myself: My name is RĂ¼diger Flaig, I live
in Heidelberg/Germany (yes indeed, there are not only tourists there) and am a
JOAT by profession (Jack Of All Trades). Among other weird things, I am
currently teaching immunology and bioinformatics at the once-famous University
of Heidelberg. Into this little secluded world of ours, so far dominated by
rigid C++ stalwarts, I have successfully introduced Python! I have been lurking
on this list for quite a while, interested to watch the further development of
the streaked reptile.

As students keep on asking me about the differences between languages and the
pros and cons, I think I may claim some familiarity with other languages too,
especially Python's self-declared antithesis, Ruby. The recent discussion about
anonymous blocks immediately brought Ruby to my mind once more, since -- as you
will know -- Ruby does have ABs, and rubynos are very proud of them, as they
are generally of their more "flexible" program structure. However, I have seen
lots of Ruby code and do not really feel that this contributes in any way to
the expressiveness of the language. Lambdas are handy for very microscopic
matters, but in general I think that one of Python's greatest strengths is the
way in which its rather rigid layout combines with the overall approach to
force coders to disentangle complex operations.

So I cannot really see any benefit in ABs... Just the 0.02 of a serpent lover,
but maybe someone's interested in hearing something like an outsider's opinion.

Cheers,
    RĂ¼diger

===
Chevalier Dr. Dr. Ruediger Marcus Flaig
    Institute for Immunology
    University of Heidelberg
    Im Neuenheimer Feld 305, D-69120 Heidelberg, FRG
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Drain you of your sanity,
Face the Thing That Should Not Be."

--