Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

This doesn't feel right to me.  By that argument, people would want
to "improve"

  (mapcar (lambda (x) (car x)) list-of-lists)

(mapcar list-of-lists (x) (car x))

I didn't claim that people would feel compelled to eliminate all uses of lambda; only that, in those cases where they *do* feel so compelled, they might not if lambda weren't such a long word.

I was just trying to understand why Smalltalkers seem to
get on fine without macros, whereas Lispers feel they are
needed. I think Smalltalk's lightweight block-passing
syntax has a lot to do with it.

University of Canterbury,          | A citizen of NewZealandCorp, a       |
Christchurch, New Zealand          | wholly-owned subsidiary of USA Inc.  |