Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> On May 4, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>

>>Nicholas Bastin wrote:
>>
>>>"This type represents the storage type which is used by Python
>>>internally as the basis for holding Unicode ordinals.  Extension
>>>module
>>>developers should make no assumptions about the size of this type on
>>>any given platform."
>>
>>But people want to know "Is Python's Unicode 16-bit or 32-bit?"
>>So the documentation should explicitly say "it depends".
>

> The important piece of information is that it is not guaranteed to be a
> particular one of those sizes.  Once you can't guarantee the size, no
> one really cares what size it is.  The documentation should discourage
> developers from attempting to manipulate Py_UNICODE directly, which,
> other than trivia, is the only reason why someone would care what size
> the internal representation is.

I don't see why you shouldn't use Py_UNICODE buffer directly.
After all, the reason why we have that typedef is to make it
possible to program against an abstract type - regardless of
its size on the given platform.

In that respect it is similar to wchar_t (and all the other
*_t typedefs in C).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 06 2005)