Terry Reedy wrote:
> I consider the current situation to be a consistency feature.  To a first
> approximation, Python function calls 'pass' objects by name-binding:
>
> param_name_list = arg_object_list
>
> Disabling structure unpacking in this assignment would make the language
> slightly more complex.

But it's a rather selective kind of consistency. To be
truly consistent in this sense, arbitrary lvalues would
have to be allowed in the parameter list.

University of Canterbury,          | A citizen of NewZealandCorp, a       |
Christchurch, New Zealand          | wholly-owned subsidiary of USA Inc.  |