Ok. While windows already prefers threads, while linux-2.6 improves
thread support and speed,
while process startup expensive on time and memory, while we ought to
dublicate our data
and/or use obscure shared memory,
while it is much simpler to make threaded program with care just about
locks than multiprocessing
with inventing interchange protocol (which abuses both CPU - sender and
reciever),

MULTIPROCESSING RULES!!!

And on Opterons: you will win with multiprocessing ONLY if OS will bind
process and processor/memory place pair.
That would be difficult.

Guido van Rossum wrote:
 > That's an understatement. I expect that *most* problems (even most
 > problems that we will be programming 10-20 years from now) get little
 > benefit out of MP.

They are allready here.
Servers they are.
It is so simple to write application server in Python.
It is so difficult to make it scallable in CPython.
Hardware is cheap, development time is expensive.
To make scallable CPython-backed server one needs too much time.
And he goes to Java, .NET and others (and rare to Jython, IronPython (in
the future)).
CPython will not be wide popular without real multithreading.

--    I want my Apache, written in Python !!!!!  :-)
--    I want my MySQL, written in Python !!!!! ;-)
It is a joke. But every joke has a peace of truth (as russian sayes).
(Excuse my English)