Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 10/9/05, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Based on the discussion, I think I'd go with defaultproperty.
>

> Great.
>

>>Questions:
>>
>>- Should this be in builtins, alongside property, or in
>>   a library module? (Oleg suggested propertytools.)
>>
>>- Do we need a short PEP?
>

> I think so. From the responses I'd say there's at most lukewarm
> interest (including from me).

Hm, I saw several responses from people who'd built something
quite similar.  This suggests to me that this is a common need.

 > You might also want to drop it and just
> add it to your personal (or Zope's) library.

I have something like this in Zope's library.  I end up with a
very small package that isn't logically part of other packages,
but that is a dependency of lots of packages.  I don't like that,
but I guess I should get over it.

I must say that I am of 2 minds about things like this.  On the one
hand, I'd like Python's standard library to be small with packaging
systems to provide "extra batteries".  OTOH, I often find small
tools like this that would be nice to have readily available.

Jim