David Abrahams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Martin v. Löwis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> Is the instruction at
>>> http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/inst/tweak-flags.html#SECTION000622000000000000000
>>> still relevant?  I am not 100% certain I didn't make one myself, but
>>> it looks to me as though my Windows Python 2.4.1 distro came with a
>>> libpython24.a.  I am asking here because it seems only the person who
>>> prepares the installer would know.
>>
>> That impression might be incorrect: I can tell you when I started
>> including libpython24.a, but I have no clue whether the instructions
>> you refer to are correct - I don't use the file myself at all.
>>
>>> If this is true, in which version was it introduced?
>>
>> It was introduced in 1.20/1.16.2.4 of Tools/msi/msi.py in response to
>> patch #1088716; this in turn was first used to release r241c1.
>
> Thanks!

As it turns out, MinGW also implemented, in version 3.0.0 (with
binutils-2.13.90-20030111-1), features which make the creation of
libpython24.a unnecessary.  So whoever maintains this doc might want
to note that you only need that step if you are using a version of
Python prior to 2.4.1 with a MinGW prior to 3.0.0 (with
binutils-2.13.90-20030111-1).

Regards
--
Dave Abrahams