At 06:32 PM 11/22/2005 -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
> >  Hmm, it would be nice to give a function a module
> > name (like from an import statement) and have Python resolve it using
> > the normal sys.path iteration.
> >

>Yep, import path -> filename path would be cool.

Zipped and frozen modules don't have filename paths, so I'd personally
rather see fewer stdlib modules making the assumption that modules are
files.  Instead, extensions to the PEP 302 loader protocol should be used
to support introspection, assuming there aren't already equivalent
capabilities available.  For example, PEP 302 allows a 'get_source()'
method on loaders, and I believe the zipimport loader supports that.  (I
don't know about frozen modules.)

The main barrier to this being really usable is the absence of loader
objects for the built-in import process.  This was proposed by PEP 302, but
never actually implemented, probably due to time constraints on the Python
2.3 release schedule.

It's relatively easy to implement this "missing loader class" in Python,
though, and in fact the PEP 302 regression test in the stdlib does exactly
that.  Some work, however, would be required to port this to C and expose
it from an appropriate module (imp?).