On 11/28/05, "Martin v. Löwis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Perhaps the following compromise can be made: the PSF accepts patches
> > from reputable platform maintainers. (Of course, like all
> > contributions, they must be of high quality and not break anything,
> > etc., before they are accepted.) If such patches cause problems with
> > later Python versions, the PSF won't maintain them, but instead invite
> > the original contributors (or other developers who are interested in
> > that particular port) to fix them. If there is insufficient response,
> > or if it comes too late given the PSF release schedule, the PSF
> > developers may decide to break or remove support for the affected
> > platform.
>
> This is indeed the compromise I was after. If the contributors indicate
> that they will maintain it for some time (which happened in this case),
> then I can happily accept any port (and did indeed in the past).
>
> In the specific case, there is an additional twist that we deliberately
> removed DOS support some time ago, and listed that as officially removed
> in a PEP. I understand that djgpp somehow isn't quite the same as DOS,
> although I don't understand the differences (anymore).
>
> But if it's fine with you, it is fine with me.

Thanks. :-) I say, the more platforms the merrier.

I don't recall why DOS support was removed (PEP 11 doesn't say) but I
presume it was just because nobody volunteered to maintain it, not
because we have a particularly dislike for DOS. So now that we have a
volunteer let's deal with his patches without prejudice.