At 01:16 PM 12/14/2005 -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
>On 12/14/05, Michael Chermside <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > We already know that Python is particularly susceptable to "too slow"
> > memes, even invalid ones. I think the best all-around solution is to
> > include cElementTree and use it wherever possible unless the user
> > specially imports the pure-python version. Perhaps importing
> > "xml.etree" gets you cElementTree unless that isn't compiled on your
> > platform, but you can import "xml.pure_python.etree" or something
> > like that to get the pure Python version if you really want it.
>
>I don't think this will necessarily happen.  You are assuming people
>are going to know there is a faster way than ET written in Python.

Actually, he's said that the C version should be the default, with the
Python version only used if you have subclassing needs that can't be met by
the C version.

>And since I have always voted on the side of "have a C version only if
>someone wants to maintain a C version but don't have both C and
>Python", I say /F should include which ever he wants, but I personally
>vote for only one version.  So if /F is going to continue to maintain
>cElementTree and since it is already written I say use that and just
>get the speed boost and eliminate the isssue of people relying on that
>1% semantic difference between the Python and C version.

Having a Python version available for Jython, PyPy, etc., is a good idea;
Michael's proposal lets us have your cake (C version be the default) and
eat it too (have the pure Python available for other platforms and for
explicit use by subclassers.