[John J Lee]
> But it's a very readable way to write a common operation.  Perhaps one
> reason the discrepancy you point out doesn't bother me is that
> division is the least-used of the +-*/ arithmetic operations.

[Tony Meyer]

> Do you have evidence to back that up?

No. :)

[Ian Bicking]
> of mine, and in 12k lines there were 34 uses of join, and 1 use of
> division.  In smaller scripts os.path.join tends to show up a lot more

[Tony]
> The problem with these sorts of guesses is that there's no evidence.
> (Maybe the suggestion that Brett's PhD should collect a corpus of
> Python scripts was a good one <wink>).  Are mathematicians that under
> represented?  Is file processing that highly represented?  I have no
> idea.

A second data point: I looked at ~10k lines of physical data analysis code
I have lying around -- presumably a relatively rare and extreme example as
the Python-world in general goes.  Result:

  140 occurences of os.path.join

  170 physical lines (as opposed to syntactical lines) containing / as a
      division operator (very few lines contained > 1 use of '/', so you
      can multiply 170 by 1.25 to get an upper bound of 213 uses in total)

(To get the second number, I used find and grep heavily but very
cautiously, and final manual count of stubborn lines of grep output with
no use of '/' as division operator)

The fact that even in this extreme case os.path.join is close on the tail
of '/' strongly backs up Ian's guess that, in most Python code, / as
division is rare compared to path joining.

Should we deprecate use of '/' and '//' for division in Python 3.0?

is-he-joking?-ly y'rs

John