Ronald Oussoren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> On Jan 26, 2006, at 9:22 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>> It shouldn't be too hard to use Python's main configure script to
>>> calculate the information necessary to build libffi. A lot of it is
>>> already calculated anyway (sizeof various type, endianness), some
>>> can be hardcoded (FFI_NO_RAW_API).
>>>
>>> In PyObjC I just compile the files I need from my setup.py. But I
>>> have an easy task, I just need to support two CPU architectures on
>>> one OS.
>>
> Merging the two configure files might be a good idea anyway, that
> would take away the need to run configure from setup.py. IANAL, but I
> don't quite get how a GPL'd support script, if there is such a thing,
> in the build machinery of an extension library would require that
> Python itself is GPL'd.
>
> Anyhow, in my copy of libffi (a snapshot where the last entry in the
> Changelog is from 2004-04-26) the only the following files at the
> toplevel op libffi are GPL licensed: config.guess, config.sub,
> config-ml.in, ltcf-c.sh, ltconfig, ltmain.sh, missing. All of these
> contain an exception clause like this one in config.guess:

ctypes libffi is somewhat newer, around 2005-05-09.

> # As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
> # distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
> # configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
> # the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.
>
> I'd say that it should be save to include these in the Python
> distribution.

As I said in the other thread  (where the discussion should probably be
continued anyway):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-January/060113.html

only aclocal.m4 isn't clear to me about the license.  Anyway, it could
be that this file isn't needed after all - I don't know enough about the
GNU toolchain to be sure.  Can anyone comment on this?

Neither do I know enough to merge the configure scripts.  Contributions
would really, really gratefully be accepted.

Thomas