On 2018-04-09 10:30, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
>> I get the same issues too, and this has been happening for quite some
>> time.  The tests and/or poplib itself may be written in a fragile way.
>
> I get the different issue with test_poplib (running with the -j option).
> All tests except test_multiprocessing_fork are passed, and test_poplib
> hangs. I thought it is a misconfiguration on my computer.

It's not your computer, it's the test suite. It uses the old asyncore
library. The test has become unstable since the ssl module properly
checks host names, see https://bugs.python.org/issue32706 and
https://bugs.python.org/issue32753.

In Python 3.6 and earlier, a hostname verification error resulted in a
closed connection. Starting with Python 3.7, the ssl module checks the
hostname earlier in the TLS handshake. A verification error results in a
TLS handshake alert and an exception on the server side. Sometimes the
old server code in asyncore runs into a race condition and the test fails.

The whole test framework needs to be rewritten from scratch and replaced
with something better. I haven't had time to work on it.

Christian