On 2018-04-10 13:49, Nick Coghlan wrote:
If it's only a semantic level change in the way the macro gets
expanded, then whether or not it needs an ABI version guard gets
judged on a case-by-case basis, and in this particular case, my view
would be that developers should be able to write extensions using the
stable ABI that accept function subclasses on 3.8+, without having to
*require* the use of 3.8+ to import their module.

I don't really get this paragraph, but in any case I decided to *not* change PyCFunction_Check in PEP 575. It doesn't seem worth the trouble as this macro is probably not often used anyway. Also, it's hard to guess what it should be replaced with: why would extensions be calling PyCFunction_Check()?