Antoine:
> The overhead of importing is not in trying too many names, but in

That was my conclusion as well when I did some profiling last fall
at the Python core sprint.  My lazy execution experiments are an
attempt to solve this:

    https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/6194

I expect that Mercurial is already doing a lot of tricks to make
execution more lazy.  They have a lazy module import hook but they
probably do other things to not execute more bytecode at startup
then is needed.  My lazy execution idea is that this could happen
more automatically.  I.e. don't pay for something you don't use.
Right now, with eager module imports, you usually pay a price for
every bit of bytecode that your program potentially uses.

Another idea, suggested to me by Carl Shapiro, is to store
unmarshalled Python data in the heap section of the executable (or
in DLLs).  Then, the OS page fault handling would take care of only
would take care of fixing up pointer references.  There are a lot of
details to work out with this idea but I have heard that Jeethu Rao
(Carl's colleague at Instagram) has a prototype implementation that
shows promise.

Regards,

  Neil