On Jul 6, 2018, at 19:43, Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopol...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Honestly, I did not realize that 3.7 has been released by the time I wrote my
> e-mail.

So I guess I didn't send out enough notices since January about each of the 5
betas and the release candidate begging everyone to test with the 3.7
pre-releases to find and discuss potentially avoidable incompatibilities? :)

> I think it will be prudent to get this command back in Python 3.7.1.  My
> work-around was to simply copy the 20-something lines that define
> install_misc from Python 3.6 to my setup.py file.
>
> It was my impression that it is precisely due to situations like this,
> distutils was considered more or less frozen for development and all new
> features went to setuptools.

If you want to pursue it, I think the best thing to do would be to bring up the
issue on the distutils-sig mailing list where the change probably should have
been discussed first if it wasn't and also reopen
https://bugs.python.org/issue29218.  AFAIK, the removal hasn't come up as a
problem before in the nearly 18 months since the change was first merged into
the feature branch.

--
  Ned Deily
  n...@python.org -- []