On 2018-07-07 06:09, Giampaolo Rodola' wrote:
I initially found myself disliking the idea as a whole but https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/8122 made me (and others) reconsider it quite a bit (see: https://twitter.com/grodola/status/1015251302350245888). PR-8122 clearly shows an improvement in expressiveness and compactness (many folks argue this is too much)

One of the requirements from the PEP (informing its design) is that there would be a significant need and opportunities to use it with multiple and/or compound conditions.

While it may be a function of Victor's choices, from my reading of the pull request the vast majority of the improved lines has but a single, simple condition such as:

     while (data := f.readframes(1024)):

I believe Giampaolo has a good point. These expressions are useful, however don't seem to have much value outside these examples.

On the subject on imagining how they would be used, suppose we could look at JavaScript or other expression-oriented languages for best practices. Didn't find many admonitions however, other than keep it simple:

    https://stackoverflow.com/q/9726496/450917

-Mike