On 2018-07-11 10:50, Victor Stinner wrote:
As you wrote, the
cost of function costs is unlikely the bottleneck of application.

With that idea, METH_FASTCALL is not needed either. I still find it very strange that nobody seems to question all the crazy existing optimizations for function calls in CPython, yet claiming at the same time that those are just stupid micro-optimizations which are surely not important for real applications.

Anyway, I'm thinking about real-life benchmarks but that's quite hard. One issue is that PEP 580 by itself does not make existing faster, but allows faster code to be written in the future. A second issue is that Cython (my main application) already contains optimizations for Cython-to-Cython calls. So, to see the actual impact of PEP 580, I should disable those.

Jeroen.