Hello,

I noticed an inconsistency in the error messages for the number of arguments to a method call. For Python methods, the "self" argument is counted. For built-in methods, the "self" argument is *not* counted:

>>> class mylist(list):
...     def append(self, val): super().append(val)

>>> f = list().append
>>> f(1,2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: append() takes exactly one argument (2 given)

>>> g = mylist().append
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: append() takes 2 positional arguments but 3 were given

I think it has been argued before that it's a feature that self is counted. So I consider the error message for list().append a bug. This is one of the many oddities I noticed while working on improving built-in functions.

Would you agree to change the error message for built-in methods to be closer to Python methods?

Jeroen.