So is the request simply to use gcc 8 instead of what Travis uses as the
default gcc? IOW change
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/28853a249b1d0c890b7e9ca345290bb8c1756446/.travis.yml#L71
somehow to use gcc8 specifically? Since it's only used for the code
coverage build I don't think  anyone would mind if you changed it. Just
open an issue on bugs.python.org and then submit a PR to change it.