On 06Sep2018 0758, Victor Stinner wrote:
Are you volunteer to fix the XML modules?

If Christian is not able to keep maintaining the defused* packages, then I may take a look at this next week at the sprints. The built-in XML packages actually don't meet Microsoft's internal security requirements, so I have some business motivation to do it. Hopefully it doesn't turn me into the sole XML maintainer...

Ultimately, however, I think we're looking at technically incompatible design changes, which is why simply dropping in a "fix" for 3.4 would not work whereas adding new options (with more secure defaults) may work for 3.8.

So I'm agreed with nearly everyone else - bugs should stay open as long as we're interested in taking a fix, even if they've already been open for a long time. Our issue tracker is a backlog, not a plan, so there is no penalty for something sitting in there for a long time.

Cheers,
Steve