Are all current Python builds and C extensions vulnerable to Spectre
variants {1, 2, *}?

There are now multiple threads:

"SEC: Spectre variant 2: GCC: -mindirect-branch=thunk
-mindirect-branch-register"
-
https://mail.python.org/mm3/archives/list/distutils-...@python.org/thread/4BGE226DB5EWIAT5VCJ75QD5ASOVJZCM/
- https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/053473.html
- https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-September/155199.html

Original thread (that I forwarded to security@):
"[Python-ideas] Executable space protection: NX bit,"
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/053175.html

On Sunday, September 16, 2018, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 12:29 Joni Orponen <j.orpo...@4teamwork.ch> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Should C extensions that compile all add
>>> `-mindirect-branch=thunk -mindirect-branch-register` [1] to mitigate the
>>> risk of Spectre variant 2 (which does indeed affect user space applications
>>> as well as kernels)?
>>>

>> Are those available on GCC <= 4.2.0 as per PEP 513?
>>

> Pretty sure no manylinux1 compiler is ever going to get these mitigations.
>
> For manylinux2010 on x86-64, we can easily use a much newer compiler: RH
> maintains a recent compiler, currently gcc 7.3, or if that doesn't work for
> some reason then the conda folks have be apparently figured out how to
> build the equivalent from gcc upstream releases.

Are there different CFLAGS and/or gcc compatibility flags in conda builds
of Python and C extensions?

Where are those set in conda builds?

What's the best way to set CFLAGS in Python builds and C extensions?

export CFLAGS="-mindirect-branch=thunk -mindirect-branch-register"
./configure
make

?

Why are we supposed to use an old version of GCC that doesn't have the
retpoline patches that only mitigate Spectre variant 2?

> Unfortunately, the manylinux2010 infrastructure is not quite ready... I'm
> pretty sure it needs some volunteers to push it to the finish line, though
> unfortunately I haven't had enough time to keep track.

"PEP 571 -- The manylinux2010 Platform Tag"
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/

"Tracking issue for manylinux2010 rollout"
https://github.com/pypa/manylinux/issues/179