Hi,

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 at 10:15, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
> Overall, this seems like something that PyPy could try out as an
> experiment, by just taking a simple extension module and replacing all
> increfs with newref assignments. And obviously implementing the whole thing
> for the C-API

Just to be clear, I suggested making a new API, not just tweaking
Py_INCREF() and hoping that all the rest works as it is.  I'm
skeptical about that.

To start with, a ``Py_NEWREF()`` like you describe *will* lead people
just renaming all ``Py_INCREF()`` to ``Py_NEWREF()`` ignoring the
return value, because that's the easiest change and it would work fine
on CPython.

A bientôt,

Armin.