Le 29/11/2018 à 19:07, Steve Dower a écrit :
> On 29Nov2018 0923, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> I think the whole argument amounts to hand waving anyway.  You are
>> inventing an extended distribution which doesn't exist (except as
>> Anaconda) to justify that we shouldn't accept more modules in the
>> stdlib.  But obviously maintaining an extended distribution is a lot
>> more work than accepting a single module in the stdlib, and that's why
>> you don't see anyone doing it, even though people have been floating the
>> idea for years.
>
> https://anaconda.com/
> https://www.activestate.com/products/activepython/
> http://winpython.github.io/
> http://python-xy.github.io/
> https://www.enthought.com/product/canopy/
> https://software.intel.com/en-us/distribution-for-python
> http://every-linux-distro-ever.example.com
>
> Do I need to keep going?

I'm sure you could.  So what?  The point is that it's a lot of work to
maintain if you want to do it seriously and with quality standards that
would actually _satisfy_ the people for whom PyPI is not an option.

Notice how the serious efforts in the list above are from commercial
companies.  Not small groups of volunteers.  Yes, it's not unheard to
have distributions maintained by volunteers (Debian?).  It's just _hard_
and an awful lot of work, and apparently you're not volunteering to
start it.  So saying "we should make an extended distribution" if you're
just waiting for others to do the job doesn't sound convincing to me, it
just feels like you are derailing the discussion.

Regards

Antoine.