On Mar 7, 2019, at 14:36, Mariatta <maria...@python.org> wrote:

> I was not involved in core Python development back then, so if it is really
> important and if people think such paragraph needs to be part of the PEP,
> then perhaps someone else more knowledgeable will need to help with this.
>
> Personally, I don't think it was a horrible mistake. I believe the core devs
> back then carefully considered all options and decided that bpo/roundup was
> the way to go. And I really don't want to give that impression to the readers
> of this PEP that "I" or "core devs" now think it was a horrible mistake. If
> there is specific parts of the PEP that gives people that impression, then
> I'd definitely want to work and improve that.

I did a little bit of archive archeology (always a frightening and humbling
black hole spelunking expedition), and here’s a brief history AFAICT.  Dates
are approximate.

5/2000 - we move all development (CVS at the time, and bug tracking) to
SourceForge.  This roughly coincided with PythonLabs leaving CNRI, so clearly
we couldn’t continue running infra off of their systems.

10/2005 - we move to Subversion

9/2006 - we begin to discuss moving off of the SF bug tracker.  I believe that
Thomas Wouters, Martin von Loewis, Brett Cannon (big surprise! :), and myself
were involved in that effort, with Richard Jones (original author of Roundup)
recusing himself.  The candidates were Roundup, Trac, Jira, and Launchpad.  I
think Brett did the first round of feature reviews and comparisons.  David
Goodger was also involved.  We did want it to be written in Python and we
preferred running it on python.org infra, but neither of these were required
criteria.

Jira and Roundup made the first cuts, with Launchpad and Trac being discarded
as “having issues” (I don’t have access in memory or emails to any of those
details).  Jira was deemed pretty complex, but Atlassian offered hosting.
Roundup was “not as polished" back then, but that wasn’t necessarily a
negative.  It was easy to use and host, and had a complimentary feature set,
but we felt like we needed volunteers to help us keep it going.  Richard Jones
of course did fantastic work on the software itself, and we did manage to, um,
round up enough volunteers to make it a viable choice.

10/2006 - the decision was made to move to Roundup, and we decided to accept
Upfront’s offer to host the instance.

3/2007 - new-bugs-announce was created and notifications of new bugs was
redirected to that mailing list.

I’ll disappear down that archive rabbit hole now, which in some cases goes back
to 1995.  There are so many fun and scary paths to explore.  See you in 6
months.

jeremy-is-salty-ly y’rs,
-Barry