> On Mar 19, 2019, at 4:53 AM, Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
>
> None of this is impossible, but please try not to preach to us maintainers
> that we are doing it wrong, that it will be easy to fix, etc

There's no preaching and no judgment.  We can't have a conversation though if
we can't state the crux of the problem: some existing tests in third-party
modules depend on the XML serialization being byte-for-byte identical forever.
The various respondents to this thread have indicated that the standard library
should only make that guarantee within a single feature release and that it may
to vary across feature releases.

For docutils, it may end-up being an easy fix (either with a semantic
comparison or with regenerating the target files when point releases differ).
For Coverage, I don't make any presumption that reengineering the tests will be
easy or fun.  Several mitigation strategies have been proposed:

* alter to element creation code to create the attributes in the desired order
* use a canonicalization tool to create output that is guarantee not to change
* generate new baseline files when a feature release changes
* apply Stefan's recipe for reordering attributes
* make a semantic level comparison

Will any other these work for you?

Raymond