> On Mar 20, 2019, at 6:07 PM, Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> what's the rationale of this backward incompatible change?

Please refrain from abusive mischaracterizations.  It is only backwards
incompatible if there was a guaranteed behavior.  Whether there was or not is
what this thread is about.

My reading of this thread was that the various experts did not want to lock in
the 3.7 behavior nor did they think the purpose of the XML modules is to
produce an exact binary output.  The lxml maintainer is dropping sorting (its
expensive and it overrides the order specified by the user). Other XML modules
don't sort. It only made sense as a way to produce a deterministic output
within a feature release back when there was no other way to do it.

For my part, any agreed upon outcome in fine. I'm not willing be debased
further, so I am out of this discussion. It's up to you all to do the right
thing.

Raymond