On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 13:12 +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Donovan Baarda wrote:
>
> >> Here I think you meant that medusa didn't handle computation in separate
> >> threads instead.
> >
> > No, I pretty much meant what I said :-)
> >
> > Medusa didn't have any concept of a deferred, hence the idea of using
> > one to collect the results of a long computation in another thread never
> > occurred to them... remember the highly refactored OO beauty that is
> > twisted was not even a twinkle in anyone's eye yet.
> >
> > In theory it would be just as easy to add twisted style deferToThread to
> > Medusa, and IMHO it is a much better approach. Unfortunately at the time
> > they went the other way and implemented multiple async-loops in separate
> > threads.
>
> that doesn't mean that everyone using Medusa has done things in the wrong
> way, of course ;-)

Of course... and even Zope2 was not necessarily the "wrong way"... it
was a perfectly valid design decision, given that it was all new ground
at the time. And it works really well... there were many consequences of
that design that probably contributed to the robustness of other Zope
components like ZODB...

--
Donovan Baarda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/