This was quite extensively discussed on python-ideas recently:

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-id...@python.org/thread/RJARZSUKCXRJIP42Z2YBBAEN5XA7KEC3/#WIRID57ESUFUAQQQ6ZUY2RK5PKQQYSJ3

(I'm finding it hard to find a good thread view in the new interface -- but
that will get you started)

My memory of that thread is that there was a lot of bike shedding, and
quite a lot of resistance to adding a couple new methods, which I
personally never understood (Not why we don't want to add methods
willy-nilly, but why there was this much resistance to what seems like an
low-disruption, low maintenance, and helpful addition)

I think it just kind of petered out, rather than being rejected, so if
someone wants to take up the mantle, that would be great -- and some
support from a core dev or two would probably help.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov