Nick Coghlan wrote:
> It's not an unwritten rule, as it already has its own subsection in
> PEP 8:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#public-and-internal-interfaces
> The main question in this thread is what to do about standard library
> modules that were written before those documented guidelines were put
> in place, and hence have multiple internal APIs that lack the leading
> underscore (and I don't think that's a question with a generic
> answer).
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. I've read over most of PEP 8 a few
times at this point, but somehow I missed this part: "All undocumented
interfaces should be assumed to be internal". Apologies for that.

Personally, I think the stdlib modules which were written before the rule
should be gradually updated, with each one being it's own issue with
the respective experts for each of the modules carefully monitoring the changes.

It would also be appropriate to provide any user attempting to import
a module that is going to be prepended with an underscore with
warnings, and at least a couple of versions to update their code.