On Aug 13, 2019, at 00:20, Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:41 AM Mariatta <mariatta.wij...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to understand why some developers dislike including it, even
> > when the reST syntax is provided.
>
> This has something to do with the use of blurb/blurb-it. Both tools
> specifically say "single paragraph with simple ReST markup".
>
> Further reading blurb's source code, it says the format of the news blurb
> should be as follows:
>   * The BODY section should be a single paragraph of English text
>     in ReST format.  It should not use the following ReST markup
>     features:
>       * section headers
>       * comments
>       * directives, citations, or footnotes
>       * Any features that require significant line breaks,
>         like lists, definition lists, quoted paragraphs, line blocks,
>         literal code blocks, and tables.

Note that there is an open devguide issue that requests improvements in the
description of news entry processing:
https://github.com/python/devguide/issues/358

Release managers are responsible for reviewing and editing, as necessary, the
changelog files that are produced in the docset for each release from the
individual blurb news items.  In general, using many Python-specific Sphinx
markup entities is fine: browsing though the consolidated blurb files for
previous releases (and the resultant changelog html) shows uses of entities
like :func: and :class:.  See, for example:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/python/cpython/3.7/Misc/NEWS.d/3.7.4rc1.rst
https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/changelog.html#python-3-7-4-release-candidate-1

Another thing that we look for is brevity.  In general, news entries should be
short, ideally one to three sentences.  They should not go into great detail as
the point of the changelog is to provide a high-level overview of the changes
going into each release.  Readers interested in more detail can click on the
link to the bpo issue for the full discussion and links to PRs and merges.

--
  Ned Deily
  n...@python.org -- []