This is undoubtedly the right answer for someone wanting to *use* code *from* CPython.

When one signs up to contribute code to the PSF, one is asked to write on  contributed software that it has been "Licensed to the PSF under a Contributor Agreement" (see https://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form/). The XXX comment may signal an intention to return and insert such words.

You cannot find many instances of those words in CPython (and Jython is worse). Many of the files pre-date the fomula, most contributions are a change to existing code, and adding it later to someone else's work doesn't feel right. (The situation is clear for pristene code.) I have wondered if it's an issue.

Jeff

Jeff Allen