Petr, Eric: sure, my question is only about the internal C functions.
I have no plan to change the existing C API.

Le mer. 13 nov. 2019 à 14:52, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> a écrit :
> The last time we discussed this, there was pushback due to performance
> concerns. I don't recall if that was actually measured, or just a vague
> unease.

Maybe I was the one who raised a concern about the atomic variable
performance. But I never ran a benchmark on that.

> I agree with Petr that not breaking existing
> APIs is of course critical. A parallel set of APIs is needed. But the
> existing APIs should become thin wrappers, until Python 5000 (aka never)
> when they can go away.

There is a project of a new C API for Python:
https://github.com/pyhandle/hpy

I suggested to add a mandatory "context" parameter since day 1. See
the current API draft, it has a "ctx" argument:
https://github.com/pyhandle/hpy/blob/3266dc295b0be20b41c99f4f4e944d117b3fc875/api.md

Example: "HPy v = HPy_Something(ctx);"

Victor