On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

> Python 3.9 is going to be the first release which will exist without any
> Python 2.7 overlap. Does this mean we are ready to start removing things
> that have been deprecated since at least Python 3.7? PEP 4 says [we are in
> the clear for modules](
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0004/#for-modules-existing-in-both-python-2-7-and-python-3-5),
> but I figured I would double-check as questions of cleaning up individual
> functions that have been deprecated for a very long time are now starting
> to come up (e.g. https://bugs.python.org/issue38916).

If it has been through a usual deprecation cycle (in the past that was two
releases... with 3.9's now accelerated schedule does it count as a full
release for that purpose?  if not, three releases is always good) it seems
fair to consider removal.

The only thing that would make me say "hold off" on a specific removal is
if removing it will cause pain for people still dealing with a mixed 2.7
and 3.x codebase.  ie: If it is an old API from the 2.x era and there is no
easy way to accomplish the equivalent of that deprecation in 2.7 and 3.9+
without contortions I'd hold it just a little longer, until 3.10 or 3.11,
unless the existence of the deprecated thing is a large maintenance burden
rather than just an annoyance.

-gps