You may want to have a look at the deferred PEP 501 -- General purpose
string interpolation:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0501/

It was proposed while PEP 498 -- Literal String Interpolation
(f-string) was being discussed, which was accepted:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0498/

PEP 501 proposed a solution for i18n.

Victor