Le mer. 4 déc. 2019 à 14:49, Thomas Wouters <tho...@python.org> a écrit :
>> (...)
>> It's very different if an incompatible change break 1% or 90% of
>> Python projects.
>
> Unfortunately there is a distinctive bias if you select popular projects, or
> even packages from PyPI. There is a very large body of work that never
> appears there, but is nonetheless used, useful and maintained lacklusterly
> enough to pose a big problem for changes like these. Tutorials, examples in
> documentation, random github repos, plugins for programs that embed Python,
> etc. The latter also represents an example of cases where you can't just
> decide to use an older version of Python to use something that wasn't updated
> yet.

My point is that currently, we have no data to take decisions. We can
only make assumptions. Having more data than nothing should help to
take smarter decisions ;-)

I know that there is closed source and unpublished projects. But if
20% (for example) of the most popular projects on PyPI are broken by
an incompatible change, it's not hard to extrapolate that *at least*
20% of unpublished will be broken at least. Usually, closed source and
unpublished projects are getting less attention and so are less up to
date than PyPI projects.

Even if you restrict the scope to PyPI: most PyPI top 100 modules are
the most common dependencies in projects. It's easy to extrapolate
that if 20% of these PyPI top 100 modules are broken, all applications
using at least one of these broken projects will be broken as well.

Another point of the PEP 608 is that there are not often resources to
fix the most popular dependencies on PyPI, it's likely better to
*revert* the incompatible change causing the issue. Again, to be able
to revert a change, we need the information that we broke something.
If a change goes through the final release, usually we prefer to
acknoledge that the "ship has sailed" and deal with it, rather than
reverting the annoying change.

Victor