On 2020-02-04 04:16, Rhodri James wrote:
I think that just enables laziness.  "We don't need to worry about the deprecations, nothing is going to happen for years yet," is more or less what happened with the Python2 to Python3 shift.  People naturally enjoy adding shiny new features to their projects over maintenance.

That's an uncharitable interpretation. Not everyone has the luxury of fixing broken code every year. (New release schedule) It's not how most of the industry works either.

As a refinement to the idea above, perhaps a sub rule could be added:

   - No deprecations should appear in a X.9 release to give folks time
     to prepare.

That feels like a very bad idea indeed.  If you don't tell people things are going away, they definitely won't prepare for that.

This point is not suggesting to break things and "not tell anyone." Rather to avoid any compatibility breaks on the ultimate release of a series to give folks a minimum of two years to react.

-Mike