On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 00:30:41 -0500
Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In that case I'm not sure the author ought to get credit for the PR. They
> can file a bug pointing out the typo and someone else can submit a fix.
>
> That sounds like a reasonable solution to me; even for more substantial
> issues (if signing the CLA is a genuine issue). I think there are a fair
> number of individuals out there who just want to fix something and aren't
> concerned with attributions or long-term contributions; they just want to
> fix the issue for themselves or perhaps for altruistic reasons.

I'd like to point out that the relevant perspective here isn't PSF
policy as much as copyright law.  Something as trivial as a typo fix
for sure isn't copyrightable, so there's no point in requiring a CLA
for it.  For more involved changes, things are less clear, and a court
would be the final authority; but that's admittedly an argument for
erring on the side of caution and requiring a CLA for *any* non-trivial
change.

Regards

Antoine.